Journey Theater Arts Group Parent Participation
Parent involvement is a unique part of our theater arts education program. Without the support of parents, Journey could not produce high-quality, community-pleasing shows.
Parent Committee Assignments
Since Journey is a family oriented organization, parents of each student cast in the production serve on one or two of several production committees. These committees are called “Parent Committees” and include costumes, sound, lighting, refreshments, publicity and many more! Each parent committee supports an aspect of the show.
Parent participation is mandatory for all students who are cast in a show. Parents will be assigned to various committees and will receive their assignment before the first parent meeting. Assignments will be posted under the Parent Committees tab, listed under Show Index at the top of the page.
**THE FOLLOWING DOES NOT APPLY FOR JOURNEY CAROLERS**
A mandatory Parent Meeting will be held on Friday, September 30 for those cast in Shrek. It will be held at Summit View Church. The meeting is 6:30 – 9:00 pm, for new show parents and 7:15 – 9:00 pm for returning show parents. Crew parents do not need to attend. The meeting will be held in the larger building in the auditorium.
A second mandatory Parent Meeting will be held on Friday, November 4 for parents of all cast members. Parents of first time crew members are also expected to attend. The meeting is 6:30 – 9:00 for all first time cast and crew parents. Returning cast parents will be asked to be present by 7:15. The meeting will be held in the larger building in the auditorium.
Parent Meeting Conflict
If you know in advance that you cannot attend a parent meeting, you may send another adult in your place who meets these criteria:
- They are not already required to attend the meeting (as a parent of another child in the show)
- They can sit in your committee meeting, gather your assignments and communicate them to you.
You must email the Show Coordinator, in advance, to let her know you will not be at the meeting and who will be taking your place. Please also let the Show Coordinator if you have an emergency and will not be able to attend.
If You Miss a Parent Meeting and do not send someone to take your place, follow these steps:
- Communicate your absence to the Show Coordinator as soon as possible
- Contact your committee chair to get their committee assignments within 24 hours of the meeting
- Choose one of the following consequences and communicate your choice via email to your Show Coordinator:
- Volunteer in the Journey office or warehouse for 4 hours (as projects are available)
- Pay a fee of $50 within two weeks
- Child(ren) may not audition the next time they are enrolled in a class